Five Ways Olympian Ibtihaj Muhammad Is a Better American Than Donald Trump (Videos)
Ibtihaj Muhammad, the first American woman athlete to compete in the Olympics wearing the hijab or Muslim head-covering, is a fatal complication to Donald Trump’s Islamophobia.
— Ibtihaj Muhammad (@IbtihajMuhammad) August 6, 2016
Ms. Muhammad shared in a team bronze medal in the saber competition in fencing at Rio. Trump disguises his bigotry toward Muslims by invoking them in the same breath with immigration, but a majority of the over 1 percent of Americans who are Muslim are citizens. One major group of Muslims, the African-Americans, are much more long-standing Americans than he is.
Never let another person’s misconceptions about your race, gender or religion hinder you from reaching your goals… https://t.co/T7IwjvfeVx
— Ibtihaj Muhammad (@IbtihajMuhammad) December 9, 2015
Trump says there is something the matter with that community because it has a violent fringe, and wants to stop Muslims from coming to the US. But Trump’s ethnic groups, white Presbyterians and Germans, have both been known to have, let us say, a violent fringe, and we don’t ban them from travel to America. Here are some ways Ms. Muhammad is a much more exemplary American than Trump.
— Ibtihaj Muhammad (@IbtihajMuhammad) December 8, 2015
1. Trump’s grandfather immigrated to the US, and his mother was Scottish, so he is a hyphenated American. The Muhammad family was kidnapped from Africa, possibly from a Muslim village in Senegal or Nigeria, and brought to North America sometime in the sixteenth through eighteenth centuries. They’ve been here a damn sight longer than the Trumps and so by Trump’s lights have a better claim on American-ness than the Donald.
Islam’s history in the United States begins with black history
— Ibtihaj Muhammad (@IbtihajMuhammad) December 2, 2015
2. Her father worked as a policeman. In contrast, Trump cultivates the more violent bikers and white supremacists who hate law enforcement.
3. Her mother worked in special education. Children exposed to Trump’s serial ramblings will need an extra 12 years just to unlearn all the Trumpisms he has put in their heads.
— Ibtihaj Muhammad (@IbtihajMuhammad) August 1, 2016
4. Ms. Muhammad makes America proud and defends our diversity. Trump makes us ashamed and attacks people different from himself.
We’re living in a time where people feel comfortable spewing their hate and harassing the innocent on our streets. We need change.
— Ibtihaj Muhammad (@IbtihajMuhammad) April 16, 2016
5. The team of which Ms. Muhammad is a part won a bronze medal for the USA at the Olympics in fencing. Trump fired people on a reality show for a few years.
Wait, before you go…
— Ibtihaj Muhammad (@IbtihajMuhammad) July 28, 2016
If you're reading this, you probably already know that non-profit, independent journalism is under threat worldwide. Independent news sites are overshadowed by larger heavily funded mainstream media that inundate us with hype and noise that barely scratch the surface. We believe that our readers deserve to know the full story. Truthdig writers bravely dig beneath the headlines to give you thought-provoking, investigative reporting and analysis that tells you what’s really happening and who’s rolling up their sleeves to do something about it.
Like you, we believe a well-informed public that doesn’t have blind faith in the status quo can help change the world. Your contribution of as little as $5 monthly or $35 annually will make you a groundbreaking member and lays the foundation of our work.Support Truthdig