Two more members of the news media have sacrificed their lives covering the Iraq war. Cameraman Alaa Uldeen Aziz and sound technician Saif Laith Yousuf, both Iraqi journalists working for ABC in Baghdad, were abducted Thursday and found dead at the city morgue Friday, according to an ABC executive.


Los Angeles Times:

The attack stunned Baghdad’s journalists.

One Iraqi reporter for a Western media organization said Aziz’s death had convinced him he should leave the country for good.

“I don’t want to stay here anymore. Every day we are losing people we know. One day it will reach me, or one of my colleagues,” said the reporter, who requested anonymity to avoid trouble with his employer.

Last week, the Interior Ministry banned journalists from going to the sites of bombings and other attacks.

Iraqi journalists are worried about being intimidated by political parties, attacked by armed groups or arrested by the U.S. military, which might suspect them of involvement with insurgent groups.

Read more (registration wall)

Rooted in Truth.
Independent by Design.

Your support helps ensure that rigorous reporting, thoughtful analysis, and investigative journalism remain accessible to everyone.

Support independent journalism.

SUPPORT TRUTHDIG