Teens Will ‘Huff’ Anything These Days
Two teenagers in France fell ill after sniffing mothballs as a recreational drug. One developed scaly skin on her legs and hands.
Developed scaly skin after a close encounter with an insect? Sounds like Jeff Goldblum’s transformation in “The Fly.”
WAIT, BEFORE YOU GO…
Doctors have warned teenagers about the dangers of sniffing mothballs after two teenagers fell ill through the habit.
An 18-year-old French girl had to be hospitalised when she developed scaly skin on her legs and hands, unsteadiness and mental sluggishness.
Medics were initially puzzled, especially as her twin sister displayed similar, but milder, symptoms.
But the New England Journal of Medicine reports that days later, it was found the mothballs were to blame.
If you're reading this, you probably already know that non-profit, independent journalism is under threat worldwide. Independent news sites are overshadowed by larger heavily funded mainstream media that inundate us with hype and noise that barely scratch the surface. We believe that our readers deserve to know the full story. Truthdig writers bravely dig beneath the headlines to give you thought-provoking, investigative reporting and analysis that tells you what’s really happening and who’s rolling up their sleeves to do something about it.
Like you, we believe a well-informed public that doesn’t have blind faith in the status quo can help change the world. Your contribution of as little as $5 monthly or $35 annually will make you a groundbreaking member and lays the foundation of our work.