N.Y. City Ballet Leader to Retire in Face of Misconduct InquiryPeter Martins, 71, denies he sexually harassed or abused members of the company, which has hired a law firm to investigate anonymous allegations.
NEW YORK—The longtime leader of the New York City Ballet is retiring in the midst of an investigation into accusations of sexual misconduct.
The New York Times reports Peter Martins wrote a letter to the company’s board of directors on Monday announcing his retirement.
The 71-year-old Martins told board members he continues to deny that he sexually harassed or abused members of the company.
City Ballet announced last month that Martins would take a leave of absence from the company and its School of American Ballet during an independent investigation. The company hired a law firm to conduct the investigation after receiving an anonymous letter accusing Martins of harassment.
Board chairman Charles Scharf has issued a statement thanking Martins for his contributions. But Scharf says the investigation is continuing.
Information from: The New York Times, http://www.nytimes.comWait, before you go…
If you're reading this, you probably already know that non-profit, independent journalism is under threat worldwide. Independent news sites are overshadowed by larger heavily funded mainstream media that inundate us with hype and noise that barely scratch the surface. We believe that our readers deserve to know the full story. Truthdig writers bravely dig beneath the headlines to give you thought-provoking, investigative reporting and analysis that tells you what’s really happening and who’s rolling up their sleeves to do something about it.
Like you, we believe a well-informed public that doesn’t have blind faith in the status quo can help change the world. Your contribution of as little as $5 monthly or $35 annually will make you a groundbreaking member and lays the foundation of our work.Support Truthdig
There are currently no responses to this article.
Be the first to respond.