Israeli Foreign Minister and Hamas Deny Reports of 'Comprehensive Ceasefire' in Gaza
UPDATE (7/17 6:23 a.m. PST): Both the Israeli foreign minister, Avigdor Lieberman, and Hamas deny a deal has been reached. Lieberman went on to say that the previous reports are “as of now incorrect,” according to the BBC.
During a five-hour humanitarian truce Thursday, as civilians flooded Gaza’s streets to gather much-needed supplies, Reuters reported that the Israeli government was considering an agreement to end hostilities that had been proposed in Egypt. If accepted, the “permanent ceasefire” would go into effect Friday morning.
Hundreds of Palestinians have been killed in the bombardment, including four boys playing on the beach Wednesday and three other people in Southern Gaza “just moments before the truce began,” AFP reports.
“There is an agreement for a ceasefire beginning tomorrow. I believe it is 6am (3am GMT),” [an Israeli] official told the Reuters news agency.
However, the news agency said that only senior officials in Egypt had agreed the deal, and it was still being examined by the Israeli leadership.
There was no immediate word from the Hamas group, which controls the Gaza Strip. Hamas rejected a previous ceasefire offer earlier this week, saying it was never consulted on the terms….Al Jazeera’s Stefanie Dekker, reporting from Gaza said the truce would allow some repairs to infrastructure, such as electricity lines.
—Posted by Natasha Hakimi Zapata