Cannes Bans Von Trier for Nazi Zingers
If he was indeed joking, Lars Von Trier needs to work a bit on his act, not to mention the material. The notoriously difficult Danish director shocked the crowd at France’s Cannes Film Festival on Wednesday by proclaiming, during a panel about his new film, “Melancholia,” “I understand Hitler, but I think he did some wrong things, yes. … But I understand much about him, and I sympathize with him a little bit.”
And that wasn’t all he said, as the clip below shows. Cannes officials responded by banning Von Trier from the festival, despite his attempts to apologize. –KA
The 55-year-old is a previous winner of the festival’s Palme d’Or award and is renowned for courting controversy.
The festival said it had been “disturbed” by the 55-year-old’s comments and had asked him to “provide an explanation”.
“The director states that he let himself be egged on by a provocation,” its initial statement read.
“The festival is adamant that it would never allow the event to become the forum for such pronouncements on such subjects.”
The Telegraph via YouTube:WAIT, BEFORE YOU GO…
If you're reading this, you probably already know that non-profit, independent journalism is under threat worldwide. Independent news sites are overshadowed by larger heavily funded mainstream media that inundate us with hype and noise that barely scratch the surface. We believe that our readers deserve to know the full story. Truthdig writers bravely dig beneath the headlines to give you thought-provoking, investigative reporting and analysis that tells you what’s really happening and who’s rolling up their sleeves to do something about it.
Like you, we believe a well-informed public that doesn’t have blind faith in the status quo can help change the world. Your contribution of as little as $5 monthly or $35 annually will make you a groundbreaking member and lays the foundation of our work.