1 Shot Dead, 9 Wounded at Detroit Block Party
One person was killed and nine were wounded when someone opened fire on a neighborhood block party on a basketball court in Detroit, authorities said.
Authorities said they did not know a motive for the shooting and that no one had been arrested.
The Associated Press reports via The Guardian:
Assistant police chief Steve Dolunt said a 20-year-old man was killed. He was not being identified while relatives were informed.
The victims ranged in age from 21 to 46, Dolunt said, and three of them were women. One person was in critical condition late on Saturday night, according to Cassandra Lewis, the department’s public information officer. She said the rest of the victims had injuries that were not life-threatening.
The shooting happened at a neighbourhood party that included a barbecue attended by families with some small children in strollers, Dolunt said.
Read more here.
— Posted by Alexander Reed Kelly.WAIT, BEFORE YOU GO…
If you're reading this, you probably already know that non-profit, independent journalism is under threat worldwide. Independent news sites are overshadowed by larger heavily funded mainstream media that inundate us with hype and noise that barely scratch the surface. We believe that our readers deserve to know the full story. Truthdig writers bravely dig beneath the headlines to give you thought-provoking, investigative reporting and analysis that tells you what’s really happening and who’s rolling up their sleeves to do something about it.
Like you, we believe a well-informed public that doesn’t have blind faith in the status quo can help change the world. Your contribution of as little as $5 monthly or $35 annually will make you a groundbreaking member and lays the foundation of our work.