Subscribe

Top General Contradicts Bush's Iran Bombs Claim

Remember how Bush claimed on Monday that Iran was providing many of the roadside bombs killing U.S. troops in Iraq? Well, the U.S.’ top military commander just told the Pentagon that there is no proof for such a claim.

Usually it’s someone opposed to Bush’s policies who makes him look so foolish–not the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

Truthdig’s Juan Cole was all over this apparently bogus claim yesterday.


Reuters

:

The top U.S. military officer said on Tuesday the United States does not have proof that Iran’s government is responsible for Iranians smuggling weapons and military personnel into Iraq.

President George W. Bush said on Monday components from Iran were being used in powerful roadside bombs used in Iraq, and Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said last week that Iranian Revolutionary Guard personnel had been inside Iraq.

Asked whether the United States has proof that Iran’s government was behind these developments, Marine Corps Gen. Peter Pace, chairman of the military’s Joint Chiefs of Staff, told a Pentagon briefing, “I do not, sir.”

Full story

In this article:
Advertisement

Now you can personalize your Truthdig experience. To bookmark your favorite articles, please create a user profile.

Personalize your Truthdig experience. Choose authors to follow, bookmark your favorite articles and more.
Your Truthdig, your way. Access your favorite authors, articles and more.
or
or

A password will be e-mailed to you.

Statements and opinions expressed in articles and comments are those of the authors, not Truthdig. Truthdig takes no responsibility for such statements or opinions.