Duke Reinstating Lacrosse Team
Duke University President Richard Brodhead said about his decision: “I am, I know, taking a risk in reinstating men’s lacrosse … [but] if we did not allow these players the chance to take responsibility for creating a new history for their sport at Duke, we would be denying another very fundamental value: the belief in the possibility of learning from experience, the belief in education itself.”
WAIT, BEFORE YOU GO…
DURHAM, N.C. – Duke University’s troubled lacrosse team will play next season, but under strict rules and close monitoring after three players were charged with rape, school President Richard Brodhead said Monday.
“I am, I know, taking a risk in reinstating men’s lacrosse,” Brodhead said in a statement. “The reinstatement is inevitably probationary.”
Brodhead canceled the team’s season April 5 after an exotic dancer who had been hired to perform at a March 13 team party told police she was raped by three team members at an off-campus house.
A university investigation also found a history of disciplinary problems involving team members, including underage drinking and public urination.
If you're reading this, you probably already know that non-profit, independent journalism is under threat worldwide. Independent news sites are overshadowed by larger heavily funded mainstream media that inundate us with hype and noise that barely scratch the surface. We believe that our readers deserve to know the full story. Truthdig writers bravely dig beneath the headlines to give you thought-provoking, investigative reporting and analysis that tells you what’s really happening and who’s rolling up their sleeves to do something about it.
Like you, we believe a well-informed public that doesn’t have blind faith in the status quo can help change the world. Your contribution of as little as $5 monthly or $35 annually will make you a groundbreaking member and lays the foundation of our work.