March 27, 2017 Disclaimer: Please read.
Statements and opinions expressed in articles are those of the authors, not Truthdig. Truthdig takes no responsibility for such statements or opinions.
Angela Davis: Education and the Meaning of Freedom
Posted on Apr 11, 2013
By Henry A. Giroux, Truthout
1. See, for instance, on the rise of the racist punishing state, Michelle Alexander, The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness (New York: The New Press, 2010); on the severe costs of massive inequality, Joseph E. Stiglitz, The Price of Inequality: How Today’s Divided Society Endangers Our Future (New York: Norton, 2012); on the turning of public schools into prisons, see Annette Fuentes, Lockdown High: When the Schoolhouse Becomes a Jailhouse (New York: Verso, 2011).
2. Quoted in Michael L. Silk and David L. Andrews. “(Re)Presenting Baltimore: Place, Policy, Politics, and Cultural Pedagogy.” Review of Education, Pedagogy, and Cultural Studies 33 (2011), p. 436.
3. Terry Eagleton, “Reappraisals: What is the worth of social democracy?” Harper’s Magazine, (October 2010), p. 78.
4. Steve Herbert and Elizabeth Brown, “Conceptions of Space and Crime in the Punitive Neoliberal City,” Antipode (2006), p. 757.
5. Henry A. Giroux, Education and the Crisis of Public Values (New York: Peter Lang, 2013) and Henry A. Giroux, The Education Deficit and the War on Youth (New York: Monthly Review Press, 2013).
6. Hass cited in Sarah Pollock, “Robert Hass,” Mother Jones (March–April 1992), p. 22.
7. Robin Kelley, “Foreward,” Angela Y. Davis, The Meaning of Freedom, (San Francisco, U.S.: City Lights Books, 2012), pp. 7-16.
8. Paul Buchheit, “Five Ugly Extremes of Inequality in America – The Contrasts Will Drop Your Chin to the Floor,” Alternet, (March 24, 2013).
9. Angela Y. Davis, Abolition Democracy: Beyond Empire, Prisons, and Torture, (Seven Stories Press, 2005) pp. 72-73.
Copyright, Truthout. May not be reprinted without permission of the author.
Square, Site wide
New and Improved Comments
Right 3, Site wide - Exposure Dynamics
Right Skyscraper, Site Wide
Right Internal Skyscraper, Site wide