Thu, 20 May 2010 23:16:16 GMT
| || Question from a Yahoo user in Kentucky: “Do you think Rand Paul is going to help black people?|
I went through the wealthy neighborhoods today and I [saw] a lot of political banners in the yards yet I didn’t see anything in the poor neighborhoods of Lexington, Kentucky. What makes this man think he can win without the votes of the poor? Rand Paul doesn’t want to help poor people obviously because I didn’t see a banner in a poor person’s front yard at all. It was all in the wealthy people’s front yards. Yes, I went all over Lexington, Kentucky, on purpose just to see what his intentions were and it’s obvious now.”
3:16 Robert Scheer
Thu, 20 May 2010 23:16:22 GMT
| || There is no question, the libertarians will not lead us to social justice. I remain as a left liberal, I prefer people like Dennis Kucinich. I think poor people, of any color, have been most hurt by the banking meltdown and are the ones paying the most. All these big banks and Sallie Mae and Countrywide ... the victims of the whole scam were basically poor people tricked into buying homes they couldn’t afford and then they lose their life savings. |
3:16 Comment From ckane
Thu, 20 May 2010 23:16:30 GMT
Comment: Mr. Scheer, where do you see this country in 10 years?
3:16 Robert Scheer
Thu, 20 May 2010 23:16:36 GMT
| || If I had to choose between Alan Greenspan and Ron Paul, I would pick Ron Paul. |
Where there are signs on people’s lawns at all, the reality is that they have been victims. By both Clinton and George Bush, the victims have always been poor people and people of color.
3:19 Robert Scheer
Thu, 20 May 2010 23:19:05 GMT
| || (Responding to ckane) I think this country is facing the same problem that the European economy is facing, and if we take the example of the most successful economy in Germany and leadership of the very conservative [Angela] Merkel, they recognize and are clear that they have to gain public control over the banks. The banking powers are lobbying, controlling politics, manipulating the economy, as we saw with Goldman Sachs, to hide debt. These banks are out of control, multinational in scope, unaccountable to anyone, and they have to be reined in. Two choices are having democratic control or you have a form of fascism where government is put into service of the biggest corporations, and that is the trend in our country that is really frightening. |
3:19 Comment From Ron
Thu, 20 May 2010 23:19:16 GMT
Comment: Do you see any political will to change the growing gap between the poor and the weathy and the continued erosion of middle-class incomes?
3:19 Robert Scheer
Thu, 20 May 2010 23:19:31 GMT
| || Yes I do. |
Thu, 20 May 2010 23:20:14 GMT
| || (We are staggering questions to give Bob a chance to answer. Next up after he answers Ron: ckane.) |
3:22 Robert Scheer
Thu, 20 May 2010 23:22:20 GMT
| || The economy is driven by consumerist demands. People are not making decent wages, and if they are not employed, not being paid, struggling to keep food on the table, they can’t buy the products being offered in the market. If you go back to a pre-industrial society, you have to have a prosperous middle class to support a consumerist society. It’s not even about social justice, it’s about having a stable economy. If our economic system leaves the bottom 90 percent of consumers struggling, which is what has been happening, it’s not a question of the poor. During the golden years of Clinton and Bush, it was the top 10 percent that improved its circumstance and the other 90 percent didn’t do well at all. The gap between the rich and the rest of the people is alarming in terms of social and economic stability. |
3:22 Comment From ckane
Thu, 20 May 2010 23:22:25 GMT
Comment: Mr. Scheer, do you believe as I do that the Repubs will take the Congress this fall and the White House in 2012?
3:23 Robert Scheer
Thu, 20 May 2010 23:23:47 GMT
| || No I don’t. Basically, I think, they are a discredited party and they don’t have solutions, they have carping destructive criticisms. People want the problems solved and I think the Obama administration represents a can-do positive attitude towards the social problems. |
3:24 Comment From Guinevere
Thu, 20 May 2010 23:24:01 GMT
Comment: You mention that you don’t like what Rand Paul would support in terms of social policy—besides what you said above about poor people, in which other areas do you find him lacking?
NEXT PAGE >>>
Click here to check out Robert Scheer’s book,
“The Great American Stickup: How Reagan Republicans and Clinton Democrats Enriched Wall Street While Mugging Main Street.”
Keep up with Robert Scheer’s latest columns, interviews, tour dates and more at www.truthdig.com/robert_scheer.
Previous item: Political Preschool
Next item: Tea Stains on the GOP Too