Top Leaderboard, Site wide
August 21, 2014
Truthdig: Drilling Beneath the Headlines
Help us grow by sharing
and liking Truthdig:
Sign up for Truthdig's Email NewsletterLike Truthdig on FacebookFollow Truthdig on TwitterSubscribe to Truthdig's RSS Feed

Newsletter

sign up to get updates






American Catch


Truthdig Bazaar more items

 
Report

AIDS and the Myth of the Oversexed Negro

Email this item Email    Print this item Print    Share this item... Share

Posted on Jul 24, 2008
westminster.gov.uk

A depiction of the so-called “Hottentot Venus,” Sarah Baartman, a Khoisan woman who was paraded around Europe in the 1800s as a sideshow and an alleged example of the oversexed African.

By Gbemisola Olujobi

Conventional wisdom insists that habits die hard. Stereotypes die even harder. Ever since journalist/adventurer Henry Stanley Morton’s account of Lord Napier’s 1868 Ethiopian campaign was published by The New York Herald, Africa has remained, in the minds of Americans, an ungovernable jungle where half-naked pygmies, polygamists and pagans roam around, negotiating their existence in the midst of exotic primitive chaos.

And if you think these are tales of bygone years, the Homo ancestralis thesis, which was propounded as recently as 1987 by John and Pat Caldwell, states that Africans are so distinct and different from Eurasians that they need a separate species classification apart from Homo sapiens, which would be Homo ancestralis—the ancestral man for whom life is about ancestors, lineage organization, descent, procreation and, by extension, sex. 

The notion of Homo ancestralis spun the African sexuality thesis (Caldwell et al, 1989), which treats African culture as a homogenous whole and states that because Africa is fertility-oriented, morality and religion are secondary to sexual relations on the continent. Characterized by a general lack of guilt or moral codes, therefore, sex in Africa, according to these authors, is an activity like working, eating or drinking and is transacted in very much the same matter-of-fact manner.

Africa’s case has not been helped by the emergence of AIDS, and the insistence of the HIV/AIDS orthodoxy that its primary mode of transmission among Africans is heterosexual sex. To compound an already complex situation, the African green monkey hypothesis also traces the origin of AIDS to Africa. Many spirited efforts have been made to debunk the green monkey theory, but it continues to hang around like a bad smell.

It was therefore inevitable that the historically touted myth of the oversexed Africans would resurface to explain Africa’s heterosexual AIDS transmission rate. It was also inevitable that practices such as polygamy, concubinage, widow-inheritance, widow-cleansing and female circumcision would be taken out of cultural context, held up for new scrutiny and used as a standard for confirming the world’s worst fears about Africa.

Advertisement

Square, Site wide
Against this background, it is no major surprise that AIDS in Africa has been understood and fought along “behavior and behavioral change” lines. Sound bites from HIV/AIDS strategists and commentators confirm this.

“If you ask me why is there more AIDS in Africa and I say because Africans f—- more, what’s your reaction?” —Elizabeth Pisani, epidemiologist, quoted in “Why We Are Losing the War on AIDS,” The Sunday Herald, May 4, 2008.

“AIDS would be brought under control only if Africans restrain their sexual cravings.”—Dr. Yuichi Shiokawa, speaking at the 10th International AIDS Conference, Yokohama, August 1994.

“Let me be very blunt: The heterosexual transmission of AIDS is, in Africa, a function of truly pathological promiscuity. So this is really a violence issue—not the same violence we deal with in Boston, where teenagers stab and shoot each other, but the violence of African men who are killing themselves, and killing African women and children, with pathological promiscuity.”—The Rev. Eugene Rivers, quoted in “Silence Is Death,” The Boston Review, April/May 1999.

“Sex, love and disease do not mean the same thing to Africans as they do to West Europeans [because] the notion of guilt doesn’t exist in the same way as it does in the Judeo-Christian culture of the West.”—Professor Nathan Clumeck of the Universite Libre in Brussels, quoted in Le Monde section of The Manchester Guardian Weekly, Dec. 14, 1993.

“Many men in Africa take their women in a brutal way, so that some heterosexual activity regarded as normal by them would be closer to rape by our standards and therefore be likely to cause vaginal lacerations through which the AIDS virus could gain entry into the bloodstream.”—“Reassuring News About AIDS: A Doctor Tells Why You May Not Be at Risk,” Cosmopolitan magazine, January 1988.

“Many African men prefer ‘dry sex,’ a practice whereby women, particularly prostitutes, are said to insert substances, such as household detergents or antiseptics, in their vagina prior to intercourse in order to prevent wetness. This practice allegedly produces a ‘hot, tight, and dry’ environment, which their men find more pleasurable but which may increase the risk of HIV-1 transmission, since the substances could cause the disruption of the membranes lining the vaginal and uterine wall.”—The Lancet, Oct. 17, 1998.

“In the Great Lakes area of Africa, to stimulate a man or a woman and induce them to intense sexual activity, he-monkey blood (for a man) or she-monkey blood (for a woman) was directly inoculated in the pubic area and also the thighs and back. These magic practices would therefore constitute an efficient experimental transmission model and could be responsible for the emergence of AIDS in man.”—The Lancet, June 27, 1987.

In line with the behavioral change model of HIV/AIDS prevention, a new World Bank-backed anti-AIDS experiment introduced in April 2008 will pay $45 every six months to 3,000 men and women, aged 15 to 30, in southern Tanzania over three years, on the condition that periodic laboratory test results prove they have not contracted AIDS or other sexually transmitted infections.

The program will be jointly funded by the World Bank, the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, the Population Reference Bureau and the Spanish Impact Evaluation Fund. According to Carol Medlin of the University of California, San Francisco, who is one of the researchers working on the program, the aim of the program is to “make people think hard about the long-term consequences of their short-term behavior. The rationale is that in spite of billions of dollars spent annually on treatment and prevention worldwide, there were about 2.5m [million] new HIV infections in 2007, predominantly in Africa.”

The blogosphere (a veritable tool for checking the public’s pulse) is awash with reactions to this “innovation.” These reactions, ranging from the condescending to the pissed-off, leave Africa in the usual place—an infant continent populated by half-wits.


New and Improved Comments

If you have trouble leaving a comment, review this help page. Still having problems? Let us know. If you find yourself moderated, take a moment to review our comment policy.

By Inherit The Wind, July 29, 2008 at 1:05 pm Link to this comment

Can’t get your head around the fact that you know NOTHING about the current state of genetic research, can you?

The incredible sophistication of the AIDS virus to mutate its DNA to protect itself from anti-bodies designed to kill is totally beyond current scientific capability.  The chemist who determines how the virus does that, and how to get another virus, any virus, to do that will DEFINITELY win the Nobel Prize that year.

Your conspiracy theory is nothing but another nutty tin-foil-hat idea.

Report this

By niloroth, July 29, 2008 at 12:06 pm Link to this comment

I would highly recommend that anyone thinking about replying to JMCSwan go check out their website.  I realize that this could be considered “poisoning the well” but then again, i am not the one publicly linking to their website. 

As near as i can tell, the author of that website seems to believe that some sort of law suit will bring the truth about the aids epidemic to light, but that part of the deal involves a game of russian roulette between 1) the author 2) nelson mandella 3) pius langa and 4) desmond tutu.  At the conclusion of which there may or may not be “suitcase nukes” set off in cities of populations of 2.55 million people or more. (excluding japanese cities)  These devices to be set off by tim mcveigh. (Or i guess his reanimated zombie corpse)

The site then goes on to lament the fact that tim mcveigh never actually bothered to return any mail to the author of the website.  Another posting details a series of complaints about the fact that the US embassy in pretoria will not respond to the author, and another post lists reasons for the authors resignation, but it seems unclear exactly from what the resignation is from. 

I really have read few websites that are less logical than that one, and i seriously wonder about the sanity of the author, to the extent that i really hope they seek some professional help. 

Aside from that, as far as the arguments for the aids virus being man made, and about the person of Len Horowitz, i think some more information would do some good. 

Len Horowitz, while being a doctor, in in fact a dentist, not a biologist, virologist, or epidemiologist.  He admitted earlier this year to having not read up on any new research into the origin of HIV since the year 2000.  And while he hosts many websites on the internet, they all seem to funnel down to one main website, http://www.healthyworldstore.com/ where, surprise surprise, he is more than willing to sell you his books on HIV, or the cure for any disease you can think of. (Usually for a lot of money, and fully unencumbered by any need for proof that it works.)  This man is a snake oil merchant and a conspiracy peddler and he is laughing all the way to the bank.

As for any ideas about the origins of HIV, I would highly recommend these 2 sources for those who can access studies on the web, and have the ability to actually understand them, HIV1 origin and HIV2 origin

For a better and more readable breakdown, i would highly recommend http://www.avert.org/historyi.htm ,it is a very readable and quick overview of the entire AIDS epidemic.

Report this

By Kati, July 28, 2008 at 10:25 am Link to this comment
(Unregistered commenter)

Gbemisola Olujobi’s article addresses important issues in Western discourse on “race” and sexuality.  It might also be relevant that Aids is on the rise in the US, possibly due to the “abstinence only” sex education which gives young people the erroneous information that condoms don’t prevent the spread of aids? 

Dear ALM, I really liked your comments. Racist stereotypes both hide reality and raise further obstacles to attempt to alleviate human suffering.  Thank you for also speaking for women….

Report this

By Colin Laney, July 28, 2008 at 8:51 am Link to this comment
(Unregistered commenter)

In response to JMCSwann’s charge that Robert Gallo invented HIV, I wrote:

> The oldest know human HIV infection was in 1959.
> That was the year Gallo graduated from college.

And in response to this, JCMSwann wrote:

>Indeed, and Pearl Harbour was bombed by UFO’s

JMCSwann went on to write about:

> [T]he good citizens who would do ANYTHING but take
> a look at the ACTUAL DOCUMENTATION.

Here’s some actual peer-reviewed documentation for unrecognized HIV infections in humans going back to 1959

http://tinyurl.com/6e4jdz

(If this looses in translation its status as a link, cut-and-paste into your browser.)

If you want actual documentation (or ACTUAL DOCUMENTATION, if you will) that Gallo graduated from college in 1959, I can probably come up with that, too.

Report this

By JMCSwan, July 27, 2008 at 7:59 am Link to this comment

Inherit The Wind, (July 26 at 6:31 pm)

Cognitive Dissonance?

If you wish to think that science won’t be there for another 20 years, where they were 40 years ago! Fine! You are welcome to that belief.

I am quite happy to agree to disagree.

PS: Add to your comic book theories: Globalhawk technology might exist in 20 years time. WTC was not a conspiracy, because it is quite possible for a multiple number of people to plan a massive terrorist attack, with boxcutters, or with technology that shall only be invented in 20 years time; and to spend months, conspiring to kill thousands of people; use the terrorist attack, to start a war, to steal Middle EAst Oil: IS NOT A CONSPIRACY.

Never read any of your referred to comic books. Don’t read comic books.

I’ve avoided the key point! That’s hilarious, if you consider yourself a mindless comic book character; or highly insulting—to yourself—if you consider yourself a human being.

Inherit The Wind, (July 24 at 3:24)

“Clearly, the means of spreading and the extent of the pandemic are far from solved.”

If you think that there is anyone on this planet SERIOUSLY interested in doing anything about solving the AIDS pandemic, via DISCLOSURE; considering the behaviour of dozens of African and Western Goverment Officials, regarding those exact issues raised in HC-CPD Appeal A 696-04, and JAG 07-146; you obviously have not been paying attention, to their repeated obstruction of justice conduct in aforementioned legal matters, since June 2002.

To them AIDS IS NOT THE PROBLEM, AIDS IS THE ‘POLITICAL’ ‘BLESSING IN DISGUISE’ DEPOPULATION SOLUTION.

If you think I am incorrect:

INFORM ME OF ONE, JUST ONE, GOVERMENT OFFICIAL WHO HAS INFORMED ME OF THEIR UNEQUIVOCAL SUPPORT FOR HC-CPD APPEAL A 696-04/JAG 07-146 DISCLOSURE?

THERE ISN’T ONE, NOT ONE. NOT ONE OFFICIAL IN THE ENTIRE SOUTH AFRICAN GOVERMENT, SUPPORTS DISCLOSURE. THAT HAS NOT CHANGED SINCE 14 APRIL 2002, WHEN MR. BHEKI KHUMALO MADE THAT VERY, VERY CLEAR, TO TODAY.

THE ONLY PERSON WHO DID—FOR SEVEN YEARS—SUPPORT DISCLOSURE, WHO IS NOT A GOVERMENT OFFICIAL, ONLY A HUMAN BEING, THE PLAINTIFF: LARA JOHNSTONE.

STANDING FOR AIDS DISCLOSURE IN AFRICA, IS ANALOGOUS TO BANGING YOUR HEAD AGAINST A BRICK WALL. AT FIRST YOU MAY BE TEMPTED TO THINK THE OBSTRUCTION THERETO, BY THE POLITICAL POWER ESTABLISHMENT IS PADDING IN A LUNATIC ASYLUM CELL—BECAUSE WHEN IT COMES TO DISCLOSURE, INTEGRITY, ETHICS AND HONOUR, AFRICA IS A LUNATIC ASYLUM, THOSE CONCEPTS DON’T EXIST AS IDEALS IN AFRICAN MINDS—BUT ONCE YOU’VE BANGED YOUR HEAD CLEAR OF THE PADDING, ALL THAT IS LEFT IS A KA$$IR BRICK WALL. AT WHICH POINT YOU REALIZE:

FOR THE AFRICAN POWER ELITE: AIDS IS NOT THE PROBLEM, AIDS IS THEIR ‘POLITICAL’ ‘BLESSING IN DISGUISE’ DEPOPULATION SOLUTION.

FURTHERMORE IT’S ONE OF THEIR PRIME ‘BEGGING BOWL’ AID STRATEGIES FROM THE WEST, TO FILL THE CORRUPT AFRICAN POLITICAL ELITE’S KOFFIRS WITH AID MONEY.

Report this

By Dr. Knowitall, PhD, PhD, July 27, 2008 at 7:08 am Link to this comment

Thanks Cyrena.  I take very seriously my ethical, moral and social responsibility to, as it were, come to the rescue of those, like outraged, who are, shall we say, less intellectually gifted than I.  Notwithstanding, even I appreciate when I’ve been thanked for doing so—oftentimes it is the “people at the top,” as it were, who get the least credit which often leads to serious psychological problems. 

Also, being a speed reader, I have searched the holy book from cover to cover, twice, and have found no ‘comodations for those copulating couples who can’t conceive, curiously, Cyrena.  (Don’t you just love this crazy language?)

Report this

By Inherit The Wind, July 26, 2008 at 7:31 pm Link to this comment

” Feel free to add aforementioned to your Red Neck, or Weathermen theories.”

*******************************************

Congrats. You’ve managed to be both RNT and TMAWT at the same time.

Of course, in your It’s a Conspiracy, Man! cognitive dissonance you avoided the key point: For AIDS to be a “created” virus at the time it appeared, it required the “Evil Ones” 40 years ago to be where Science won’t be for another 20 years…

You’ve been reading too many comic books about Lex Luthor and Doc Occ.  Real science doesn’t work that way.

Report this

By ALM, July 26, 2008 at 6:33 pm Link to this comment
(Unregistered commenter)

Based on the writer’s evidenciary support of the thesis—that Americans/Westerners view Africans as oversexed and therefore somehow responsible for the AIDS epidemic plaguing that continent—one has to concede that the author makes an entirely reasonable complaint and critique. However, I would like to comment on four points.

First, the author complains that Westerners lump Africa together in one amalgamation, rather than as a continent populated by extremely diverse cultures, histories, and governments. I would absolutely agree. I would also point out, however, that I often see black Americans wearing t-shirts with a picture of Africa on it bearing the colors of the flag of a single African country. Such images, while perhaps representative of a larger identification with all of Africa (in the continent’s interaction with the West), only serve to cement the image of Africa as a single entity.

Second, I lived for several years in a local community, speaking the local language and working with local people, in the Islamic Republic of Mauritania, and I find it very easy to believe medical professionals who warn that female circumcision pose grave health risks—in general, and for the transmission of AIDS. My host mother told me one day, in answer to my question about why my five-year old host sister was sobbing and barely moving, that my sister’s clitoris had been cut off that day using a pair of scissors. Given the poverty in which we lived, and the general lack of awareness of the germ theory of disease, it did not require a stretch of the imagination to picture a scenario in which my little sister contracted AIDS.

Third, based, admittedly on testimony given mostly by women who either speak English or were willing to speak with interviewers about taboo subjects like sex and who are therefore probably a self-selecting demographic, men in certain African countries like Somalia do, in fact, prefer their women to be “dry”. Female genital mutilation (because it IS mutilation, medically equivalent to cutting off the head or more of a man’s penis, depending on the severity of the cutting) in certain areas serves not only to protect a woman’s sacred virginity, but also to prevent her from arousal during sexual intercourse.

Lastly, the author (and others) should read a recent article that appeared in the July 19th issue of The Economist, entitled “DARC Continent:” the article introduces new research into genetic variations that appear mostly in people of African descent. These variations, the study suggests, perhaps initially evolved to protect people who lived in endemically malarial areas from that scourge. Unfortunately, it appears that what was once a significant evolutionary achievement has left its possessors vulnerable to a new scourge: not only might Africans be more sucseptible to AIDS, but it also appears to take an average of two years longer for victims to manifest symptoms, giving them time to pass along the disease unknowingly.

All that being said, the article makes a legitimate complaint about the continuing Western opinion(of some people) on the sexuality of the so-called Dark Continent’s inhabitants.
The author should also consider, however, the validity of certain medical complaints about the treatment of women in certain areas, and allow that such treatment may contribute to the spread of AIDS.

Report this

By JMCSwan, July 26, 2008 at 5:35 pm Link to this comment

Inherit The Wind, (July 25 at 6:36 pm)

Actually not two conflicting theories, just the shallow superficiality thereof, creating the illusion of two conflicting theories.

AIDS Motive: World is overpopulated, Africans refuse to participate in population control measures: Africans are immoral and oversexed. Create a depopulation covert biological warfare virus, inoculated by vaccinations, which spreads quicker particularly to those who participate in promiscuous sexuality. Furthermore, mixing various mutant viruses, as I have previously described, you create what CDC referred to as a ‘laundry list’ of symptoms.

Finally,—remember chicken pox blankets to Native Americans – since this is to be a depopulation virus of the promiscuous and oversexed, predominantly blacks, with whites as a Trojan Horse. The HIV virus is to seek out the CCR5- gene, in the host’s body.

CCR5- is the gene that is also known as ‘Black Light’ or that creates the symptom of a ‘black’ or ‘brown’ skin. The more CCR5negative genes you have, the darker your skin, the more curly your afro hair. The less, CCR5- genes, you have, the more CCR5+ genes you have, and the more ‘white’ or European your skin colour. Example: Icelandic and Norwegian types of people don’t have CCR5- genes, accordingly if they slept with someone who DID HAVE THE AIDS VIRUS, the ‘AIDS/HIV VIRUS’ would seek out CCR5- genes, and wouldn’t be able to find them, to thereby ‘BUD’ AS IT IS KNOWN, AND START THE WASTING PROCESS, INTO AIDS.

However, because AIDS is a depopulation virus, of the promiscuous, including WHITES, if the Scandinavian, or any person with no or very little CCR5- genes, to attach to, has in fact got any genes in their body, related to prior sexually transmitted diseases, such as herpes, or syphilis, or similar, then the AIDS virus, can also attach to those, and thereby start the budding process, to eventually lead to AIDS, and wasting.

Feel free to add aforementioned to your Red Neck, or Weathermen theories.

Should you be sexually promiscuous, may I suggest you use a condom, that does hold ‘water’; unless, of course, you consider AIDS as an interesting way to die. I don’t.

Furthermore, I agree it was a conspiracy, and I consider that some of their fears related to overpopulation issues were very, very justified; and that there were a few brave voices, raising these issues in the public political arena, such as at Bucharest, in 1974.

Report this

By cyrena, July 26, 2008 at 1:49 pm Link to this comment

By Dr. Knowitall, PhD, PhD, July 26 at 5:04

Dr. Knowitall…you really DO knowitall

You’ve summed it up so beautifully for Outraged and the rest of us.

Oversexed is screwing more than 3 or so times in one’s life. An exception might be made for those who have some sort of difficulties producing a child as a result of the screwing. So, they might get extra chances. (Check the scriptures for the rules on that).

Anything more is oversexed.

Report this

By SusanSunflower, July 26, 2008 at 6:06 am Link to this comment

as part of the usual “otherness” branding.

WRT AIDS (I just got a chance to google a bit to check my memory) from New Scientist timeline:
=========================================================
1981
• A high prevalence of both a rare type of skin cancer - Kaposi’s Sarcoma - and pneumonia are found in young gay men in New York and California, US. (snip)

1982
• Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) scientists, in Atlanta, US, predict that the immune system disorder affecting gay men is due to an infection. They establish the term Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) and determine that aside from gay men, other groups at risk are injecting drug users, people of Haitian origin and haemophiliacs (snip)

• It is revealed that a wasting disorder known in Africa as “slim disease” is a form of AIDS

1983
• AIDS epidemics are developing in Europe: one in gay men who have visited the US, another in people with links to central Africa

• Investigations begin into the occurrence of AIDS in Rwanda, Zaire and other African nations

1984
• Using recently developed techniques, the retrovirus responsible for AIDS is independently discovered by Luc Montagnier of the Pasteur Institute in Paris, France, and Robert Gallo of the National Cancer Institute in Washington DC, US. It is later named the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)

• Cases of AIDS passed on through heterosexual intercourse begin to appear
=========================================================

AIDS as a “gay disease” was also attributed to multiple partners/promiscuity AND other STDs.

Some of the “oversexed negro” theories, particularly the earlier ones cited in this articles may have been a perpetuation of the “illness as a metaphor” smear initially placed on homosexual, the “gay plague”

How/why nobody really noticed or cared about the African wasting disease can be noodled and probably deserves its own article. It certainly seems that MODERN FULL-BORE SCIENCE did not get involved until the Kaposi’s cases (where a very rare malignancy suddenly occurred in startling numbers). This caught their attention and technological advances in virus identification and culture (to differentiate from various other non-transmissible immune deficiency syndrome).

url for new scientist timeline: http://www.newscientist.com/channel/health/hiv/dn9949-timeline-hiv—aids.html

my only point that the AIDS was entered the consciousness in most places as disease of white homosexual “oversexed sinners” .

Report this

By Dr. Knowitall, PhD, PhD, July 26, 2008 at 6:04 am Link to this comment

Reply it outraged:

Thanks for your thought-provoking question, “What is oversexxed?”

This is a good one and I’m going to try to shed some light for you.

You see, it’s all tied up with perceptions of fruit trees, stones and government control. 

First, the god of moses gave the rather contradictory edict to first, “not eat the fruit of the tree in the garden,” only later on to say, “be fruitful and multiply.”  After that, “don’t cast your seed against the stone,” meaning no masturbation or recreational screwing.  It should therefore follow that no amount of screwing is acceptable, except for procreating and masturbation is clearly out.  Now, in a time of zero population growth in this country and a one-child quota in others, it follows that procreation can generally be taken to mean screwing only a few times in a life, just enough to get a kid or two then no more. 

To sum up, you can have sex only a few times in your life and you can’t masturbate at all, and not following these rules makes you “oversexxed.”  I hope I’ve been helpful, and in the future, you may find, as I did, that many of the answers you search for you may well find hidden in the scriptures or government rhetoric or propaganda.  In the case of scriptures, interpreting them can get a bit cumbersome and challenging but, if you hit a roadblock, any good man of the cloth can help.  Good luck!

Report this

By cyrena, July 26, 2008 at 3:59 am Link to this comment

By Big B, July 25 at 6:52

I also, unfortunatley think that many of the sterotypes of the people of the African continent have a basis in truth. They DO procreate TOO MUCH for a continent that cannot even feed itself. However, the Africans attitude towards birth control can be layed directly at the feet of the Catholic Church and their archaic views. Telling uneducated people in a nation with no economy and a constant state of pestilance to “Be fruitful and multiply” is amoral and criminal.

~~~~

You’ve got a point here Big B, but I have to say this is NOT just Africa. The same phenomena, (having tons of children in a condition where one cannot even feed themselves) is just as prevalent here in the good ol USA, among the Fundamentalists and other groups. We even have a guy running for president who wants to outlaw BIRTH CONTROL, and overturn Roe v Wade. He (Ron Paul) calls both a form of ‘population control’. And, he’s not Catholic. Neither are the other fundamentalists who don’t seem to have any concerns about how they’ll feed all of their children. I think it’s amoral and criminal as well.

Still, I get your point. Something that has been taken up in some of the Muslim countries, (where the same situation exists) is to have the subject of birth control actually introduced by the Clerics. It is more ideologically acceptable that way, specifically in terms of ones obligation to provide for the families. If they cannot DO that, it becomes immoral.

I don’t believe that War, famine, genocide and rape are necessarily a result of mad men elected by ignorant and uneducated populations though. Genocide most often results over a struggle for political power, and of course the resources connected, so I’d agree that it is more likely to occur in places where famine and extreme poverty exist. But, not always. And the rape occurring in genocides and war are strictly TACTICS of the war. Rape is just another terror tactic, and one used overwhelmingly in genocides. The genocides in Rwanda and on-going in Darfur are primarily political, and the rape is again..a terror tactic.

But yeah, the people DO continue to be exploited by these same colonial powers, generally by way of those mad men you speak of.

But, I also think that the stereotype of the ‘oversexed Negro’ is very much a white western creation, evolving at the same time, (and for the same reason - racism) at the inception of this USA. It’s a long history, but very much connected to the whole slavery thing.

ITW..You’re really on a roll tonight, The-too-much-acid-Weatherman-Theory??? smile smile

I’m gonna remember that. Sounds fun.

Report this
Outraged's avatar

By Outraged, July 25, 2008 at 11:28 pm Link to this comment

I personally thought the article jumped around and didn’t exactly project what, I at least, thought was the authors intent.  However, when I pondered it, I felt I DID understand the point this author was making.  Which given all the info, (at least to my way of reasoning) was, IS THIS BULLSHIT OR WHAT…?

I agree with heavyrunner, somebody is not “being truthful”.  And realistically here in America we KNOW when to “soften the statistics”....don’t we..?

I do have an issue that SUPPOSED oversexededness exists at all.  I’m curious, when is someone “oversexed”?  What does that mean?  Is this when they start screwing lamposts or something?  Or when their dog runs for cover..?  What…what does “oversexed” even mean….?

How does one KNOW if they are “oversexed”..?  What is the criteria…for “oversexed”?  Could this mean, I’m so pissed that so-n-so won’t have sex with me but “he runs after that tramp”?  Or possibly, “she could’ve had me and “everything”, but apparently she likes skid row..?

Is oversexed when you just can’t get enough of a person and they agree…so much so, that you feel quite confident the rest of the world only wishes life was so fine?  Or does “oversexed” simply mean two people have someone and something that makes them happy and IT SHOWS?  Has it affected your job? (As if anyone would rather produce widgets than have great sex, how ridiculous is that..)

Would these very same people find it “odd” that someone would take a “sick day” for a day at the beach or the opportunity to just “chill out”? 

Who or what INVENTED “oversexed”?  On top of that, they INVENTED this for a whole culture, a country and in fact for a WHOLE CONTINENT!  What is up with that..?  Does this now or could it EVER have been reasonably logical?  And what kind of numb nut could actually BUY this load of crap?

Reality check.  If you’re human, you probably enjoy sex.  If you’re human and you DON’T enjoy sex, probably something is not right with you.

Report this

By Big B, July 25, 2008 at 7:52 pm Link to this comment

I find it laughable that the article quotes statistics from a survey (not a study) done by the Durex company.
I would also point out that if rates of promiscuity are higher because of movie, tv and internet viewership, Americans would bareley have enough time in between sexual encounters for a bowl corn flakes.
I also, unfortunatley think that many of the sterotypes of the people of the African continent have a basis in truth. They DO procreate TOO MUCH for a continent that cannot even feed itself. However, the Africans attitude towards birth control can be layed directly at the feet of the Catholic Church and their archaic views. Telling uneducated people in a nation with no economy and a constant state of pestilance to “Be fruitful and multiply” is amoral and criminal. The trappings of overpopulation in Africa are obvious to even the most unenlightened observer. War, famine, genocide, and rape are everyday occurances in countries run by madmen who were often elected by an ignorant and uneducated population. And worst of all, the people continue to be exploited today by the same colonial powers that supposedly left Africa nearly a century ago.
Until Africans decide to stand on their own, educate themselves, and EVOLVE ON THEIR OWN, the steriotypes that most of us find degrading will continue to be part of any conversation that White people have about Africa.

Report this

By Inherit The Wind, July 25, 2008 at 7:36 pm Link to this comment

Two conflicting ideas are here:
1) Africans (and by extension all Black people) are immoral and oversexed and are f**king themselves death. Call this the Red-Neck Theory.

2) “It’s a conspiracy, Man!” Somehow, NCI malicious agents were able to create a genetically sophisticated mutating immune-system attacking virus that is highly infectious (especially to Gay, Blacks and Radical Leftists), and then spread it among Gays and Africans to wipe them out.
Call this the Too-Much-Acid-Weathermen Theory.

RNT clearly denies that in-breeding in Red-Neck Country made it so that a virgin was a girl who could out-run her brother.

TMAWT clearly denies that a knowledge of genetics is required that is still 20 years away, minimum.  Yet AIDS has been around for 40 years that I know about (1968 is the first case I know of).....So, for TMAWT to work the scientists had to be 60 YEARS ahead of all the other geneticists when they actually released it.

Neither “theory” holds any more water than space aliens bombing Pearl Harbor.  But it’s sure entertaining to read! 

IT’S A CONSPIRACY, MAN!

Report this

By cyrena, July 25, 2008 at 5:55 pm Link to this comment

by heavyrunner, July 25 at 7:35 am #

•  “…From my own personal experience the sexual data for American males seems incorrect.  The number of partners is way too low, and the duration of incidents is also way low, and the number of incidents per year is way low…”

Very funny heavyrunner. wink Now, didn’t you say that you’d been bankrupted a few times by ‘spousal illness.’ Like, divorce maybe?

I’m sorry, I just couldn’t resist. It’s all in fun though.

On the more serious side; the article is excellent, and I’m glad to have yet another thorough debunking of the oversexed Negro myth. What IS it about the dominant white culture that finds this so enduring? Could it be THEY who are so obsessed with sex? (That’s been my take for a really long time now).
On the even MORE (far more) serious side, thanks to JMCSwan for the extremely informative scientific info. It’s certainly NOT my own field of any advanced study, and probably never will be. But, I appreciate the knowledge when it’s available, and presented in a way that I can determine to be valid, to the extent of my own analysis of anything. In other words, I KNOW that it is NOT ‘tinfoil hat’ stuff.
Based on my own very limited (and peripheral) knowledge in a component of this, I even have to actually find myself in concurrence with niloroth, which is pretty amazing, (though it’s more of an acknowledgment than a concurrence)

He writes in response to moineau:

•  “…As for a reason why africa is such a hotbed for HIV infection, one potential reason was published earlier this month in the Cell Host and Microbe journal.  It turns out that an evolutionary defense against malaria might make people of african descent up to 40% more likely to be infection by HIV. ..
Now, I APPRECIATE this response, in part because of the terminology, (a –potential- reason) and the publication citation. As it happens, these same phenomena, evolutionary defense systems in various genetic groups of people, has been citied as the reasons for the deaths of so many Native Americans during that Holocaust. Apart from the very DELIBERATE infection of them with small pox virus laden blankets, many of the original Native Americans were cut down by multiple diseases that were imported with the various groups that came to this continent during the first waves of the colonization.

As a matter of fact, as these people left many locations in Europe, (where disease was pervasive at the time) and transported to the US, the numbers show a decline in these same illnesses/diseases in the European population, with an almost directly proportional INCREASE to the same here in the “New World”. One conclusion is that the Native American defense system (or genetic composition) was not prepared for these types of diseases. If anyone is interested, I do have that article somewhere in my stuff, and I’ll be happy to access it.

The same has also been said of the Native American tolerance for alcohol, though I’m unable to site any legitimate studies for such a claim. For me, it’s always come by ‘word of mouth’ as it tales passed on by the elders. It certainly “seems’ accurate enough, since there’s no denying that the ‘fire water’ that didn’t exist PRIOR to the European occupation has certainly been a deadly epidemic for the Natives of the US. But again…nothing scientific to prove that.

Report this

By JMCSwan, July 25, 2008 at 3:37 pm Link to this comment

Colin Laney, (July 25 at 10:29 am)

You write: “The oldest know human HIV infection was in 1959.  That was the year Gallo graduated from college.”

Indeed, and Pearl Harbour was bombed by UFO’s, the Gulf of Tonkin was never ‘staged’, Israel had nothing to do with the bombing of the Liberty, corrupt police never ‘plant’ drugs to distract the ignorant, and of course scientists working on immune destroying viruses, would never be as corrupt as gangland drug cops; all so that the good citizens who would do ANYTHING but take a look at the ACTUAL DOCUMENTATION.

Then you say: “Viruses jump species all the time.  Influenza strains bounce back and forth between pigs, ducks, and humans. Smallpox came from cattle. Plague jumps from marmots to rats to humans.”

Some do, others need to be cultivated, in human tissue culture to do so. But again, the Cole was bombed by a Vietnamese firecracker, whatever. 

As for: “This is tinfoil hat stuff.  Worse than that, it’s outdated tinfoil hat stuff.”

More than entitled to your ‘tinfoil hat’ opinions. The CIA’s first ‘Wierd Desk’ allegations are ALWAYS: ‘tinfoil hat’ allegations.

Dr. Horowitz, however, for me has far more credibility, and integrity, than someone refusing to address real facts, in the congressional record, etc., but plays the ‘tinfoil hat’ card.

Talk about: “A fanatic is someone who can’t change his mind, and refuses to change the subject.”

I’d be happy to change my mind, I often have—given some evidence, besides juvenile ‘tinfoil hat’ allegations.

You ever read anything about MK-NAOMI, sister project of MK-ULTRA? NAOMI stands for NEGRO’S ARE ONLY MOMENTARY INDIVIDUALS. Anyone got directions to the nearest KKK ‘get out the vote’ gathering? 

Strange isn’t it? While liberals jump through tinfoil hats to deny the origins of AIDS. Some REAL (not pseudo) conservatives (white and black), who quietly don’t deny the NCI etc. origins of AIDS, they just wonder why AIDS is working so bloody slowly, why has it only murdered about 40 million Africans, and promiscuous gays, can’t it be speeded up.

Why some might wonder it isn’t being speeded up, when they go to their doctor, or take their kids for vaccinations,—definitely not concocted by disaster capitalism mad tinfoil scientists!!—I wouldn’t know. Of course more gov. funds can be appropriated to AZT,—good for Merck, good for more dead ni**ers. Time will tell.

Merck makes over $2 billion a year on ‘AIDS treatment medication’. Merck had means, and opportunity, and I guess $2 billion a year, ain’t enough of a ‘motive’. But only military hardware corporations play the disaster capitalism game, not military pharmaceuticals corporations, hey?

Breed, breed, breed public relations… and in thanks and appreciation for your breeding, we shall reward you with the opportunity to (i) consume products you don’t NEED, (ii) work as debt indentured slaves, and (iii) provide our corporations with nifty Frankenstein ways to make billions out of mass murder, and genocide. And prosecutors, police and judges participate in this conspiracy of silence.

And this paradigm for purposeful living, we call ‘humanity’. ... 

And anyone who questions this paradigm of obscenity, deserves a ‘tinfoil hat’.

Report this

By niloroth, July 25, 2008 at 1:57 pm Link to this comment

moineau:

To answer your question, i have not seen that specific video yet, but i will watch it over the weekend.  however, i have seen and read much about the supposed link between opv and hiv.  One of the best articles i have read about it was actually in Skeptic magazine a few months ago, not sure which issue, but i can provide that later on if you want.  However, in the end, i find the pro opv = hiv to fall into the same trap as the creationists fall into, they have 0 evidence to support their theories, only reason to doubt any other theory.  In the case of the opv hiv link especially every time that something has turned up that could have supported their theory, it turns out to actually debunk it.  And while i don’t believe any theory should be ruled out yet, they have a serious uphill battle to fight to even begin to legitimize their theory. 

As for a reason why africa is such a hotbed for HIV infection, one potential reason was published earlier this month in the Cell Host and Microbe journal.  It turns out that an evolutionary defense against malaria might make people of african descent up to 40% more likely to be infection by HIV.  Seems to be a long term and well organized study, although i have yet to read the whole thing.

Source for the study

Source for a write up on the study

Report this

By Roberta Kowald, July 25, 2008 at 1:25 pm Link to this comment
(Unregistered commenter)

As a public health professional I can’t tell you much I appreciated this thoughtful analysis of racial stereotyping in the world of international public health.

Yes, the problem of why HIV rates are so high in some areas of the globe is a complex one - with a thousand and one knotty questions and possibilities for why this happens.

But that’s all moot - since your point is that until global health authorities stop assuming that it’s unprotected sex being engaged in by horny Africans - we will never find the forest for the hordes of giant penis trees.

Report this

By SusanSunflower, July 25, 2008 at 12:21 pm Link to this comment

from E-medicine:

“HSV is well distributed worldwide. The prevalence rate of genital herpes in developing countries is 2-74%, depending on the country. In some African countries that are experiencing HIV epidemics, HSV-2 infection is highly prevalent (>70%). Evidence suggests that genital HSV infection increases the risk of HIV infection and that persons infected with both viruses are more likely to transmit HIV infection.”

I suspect there is a “tipping point” (an opposite of “herd immunity”) at work here. Promiscuity has nothing to do with it. Most American “carriers” are unaware they are carrying and transmitting. I suspect rates of self-reported dental flossing are more accurate those reported for “safe sex.”

http://www.emedicine.com/ped/byname/Herpes-Simplex-Virus-Infection.htm

I think social cohorts in many cases have kept the disease comfortably seemingly corralled within certain groups ... statistical “cohorts” maintained by inadequate testing, that may well be already “fiction.”

Report this

By Jays, July 25, 2008 at 11:40 am Link to this comment
(Unregistered commenter)

Great, so you debunked the myth of the “oversexed negro”, only believed by racists in the first place, few of which probably read Truthdig. But did you really debunk the myth of “Aids and the oversexed Negro”? Without an explanation of how the AIDS rate got as high as it did in Africa, the question is about how it is managed now, and with an AIDS rate that high, a sex frequency as high as other continents is too much sex for people that want to avoid getting AIDS.

    But you even undermine your whole argument about the myth in the first place by jumping from the too easy to refute “genetically different” theory to cultural explanations. By using only current statistics about Nigerian sex and descriptions of how sex was, in times before AIDS, carefully regarded by a small (hopefully representative) sample of African cultures to demonstrate African sexual restraint and then blaming current predominant African sexual attitudes on the of loss of the old customs and the influence of the West, you make it sound as if those customs were the only thing holding African sexuality in check, and that Western culture could not contain it i.e. that it must be those raging African sex genes, only restrainable through the most rigid of traditions.

“That traditional education has gradually been replaced by media “education” and Hollywood movies. Everyone knows what kind of influence that combination has.”
    Really? This is a very, very tough sell. Media theory much? Because I am pretty sure that I do not know the same thing that you do about the kind of influence that combination has.

    And trying to put down American sex practices is just pointless. Is there evidence that in practice Africans adhered to their traditional values any more than Americans stick to their traditional values? Do you really need to be told that advertisements and daytime television are absolutely not accurate depictions of the values and practices of the general American population?

Report this

By Colin Laney, July 25, 2008 at 11:29 am Link to this comment
(Unregistered commenter)

JMCSwan writes:

> Gallo’s group at the NCI and Litton Bionetics also experimented with other simian and human cancer viruses [to create the HIV virus]

The oldest know human HIV infection was in 1959.  That was the year Gallo graduated from college.

> These diseases in monkeys and chimps would not have JUMPED SPECIES

Viruses jump species all the time.  Influenza strains bounce back and forth between pigs, ducks, and humans. Smallpox came from cattle. Plague jumps from marmots to rats to humans.

This is tinfoil hat stuff.  Worse than that, it’s outdated tinfoil hat stuff.

Report this

By BillMar, July 25, 2008 at 10:41 am Link to this comment

ladybaby wrote, “BillMar, you spent a year in Botswana and a year in Swaziland, so you met, not Africans, but Swazis and Botswanans!”

Just to clarify, I was not confined in Swaziland and Botswana for two years. I have traveled all over Africa, and believe that I have drawn some valid conclusions from my conversations with Africans. While I agree that there are cultural differences among tribes, there are also cultural similarities. Male domination is one shared by most tribes. I stand by my previous comments.

Report this

By JMCSwan, July 25, 2008 at 9:40 am Link to this comment

The General, (July 24 at 7:09 pm)

Agreed: Authors promotion of more ignorance and stupidity.

Colin Laney, (July 24 at 2:00 pm)

Agreed partially: “There’s not much doubt any more that HIV evolved in Africa in the 20th Century from a chimp and/or monkey virus.”

The chimp and monkey ‘viruses’, were not naturally occurring viruses, within chimps, or monkeys. The viruses that were used by NCI and Litton Bionetics scientists to create AIDS, were ‘mixed’ in monkeys and
chimps.

“Gallo’s group at the NCI and Litton Bionetics also experimented with other simian and human cancer viruses (eg SV40), and developed recombinants (ie mutants) of these with other viral nucleic acids invluding those that caused the prominent features of AIDS—WBC dysfunction, leukemia, lymphomas, sarcomas, progressive wasting, and ultimate death in cats, mice, chickens and humans.”

All of aforementioned experimentation—to create AIDS, with these viruses—was conducted not in ‘fresh monkeys or chimps’ from Africa, but in monkeys and chimps, that had been used for numerous other experiments already, ie already sick and diseased monkeys. These monkeys and chimps were carrying in their bloodstreams, various other mutations of diseases that had previously been tested on them.

Furthermore these monkeys—with these various diseases, were not kept in quarantine, but were kept in cages together, thereby sharing their diseases, with each other.

“With aforementioned—which fits the description of a Russian biological cocktail of immune destroying viruses, with the opportunity of various mutations—the NCI scientists injected such viruses into human WBC and fetal tissue cultures to enable them to infect humans and even transmit these same diseases.”

These diseases in monkeys and chimps would not have JUMPED SPECIES, without having been cultured in human tissues, thereby the scientists created the means for the viruses to JUMP SPECIES, from monkeys, TO HUMANS.

Some of the viruses mixed in these monkeys to create AIDS:
- RD114 cat leukemia/sarcoma RNA suitable for humans
- 70S RNA found in chicken immunodeficiency retrovirus
- Retroviral RNA from simian foamy virus with bel-gene sequence that readily picks up other genes
- Avian Myeloblastosis virus

The studies were not limited to monkeys, cats and chickens. Cow, sheep, horse, rodent and human viruses were also hybridized.

Report this

By Heather, July 25, 2008 at 9:08 am Link to this comment
(Unregistered commenter)

The article says: “To compound an already complex situation, the African green monkey hypothesis also traces the origin of AIDS to Africa. Many spirited efforts have been made to debunk the green monkey theory, but it continues to hang around like a bad smell.”

Say what? The origin of AIDS in Africa has been well-established for some time now. The (undated) document linked to that supposedly “debunks” this notion has no sources more recent than 1988. You call this journalism?

Report this

By heavyrunner, July 25, 2008 at 8:35 am Link to this comment

From my own personal experience the sexual data for American males seems incorrect.  The number of partners is way too low, and the duration of incidents is also way low, and the number of incidents per year is way low.

Report this

By JMCSwan, July 25, 2008 at 7:50 am Link to this comment

Inherit The Wind, (July 24 at 3:24) [not yet posted by Truthdig]

Brilliant destruction of stereotypes? I beg your pardon, are you joking?

As for the only thing lacking, in the article, being the development of techniques to reduce AIDS transmission: Are you referring to a recent ANC politician’s statement that: “AIDS IS A BLESSING IN DISGUISE, BECAUSE NOW WE DON’T HAVE TO BUILD THE [FORNICATING PROMISCUOUS] AFRICAN POOR, WHO VOTED FOR THE ANC [‘FREE ROAST CHICKEN, VOTE ANC’] THE FREE HOMES WE PROMISED THEM.” or the one that said “AIDS DOES NOT EXIST”?

niloroth, (July 24 at 6:24 am)

If you honestly don’t know where AIDS came from,—i.e. Ft. Detrick, Maryland, the WHO, NCI, etc;—you truly are a prime candidate for the beliefs of the African ‘infant continent populated by half-wits.’

The money for AIDS,—I.E TO CREATE AIDS as an immune destroying virus—was PAID FOR BY CONGRESS. IT IS PART OF THE CONGRESSIONAL RECORD. The National Cancer Institute experiments that created AIDS, are NOT A BIG SECRET. Just not exposed by your favourite mainstream media. Read Dr. Leonard Horowitz: AIDS & EBOLA: Nature, Accident or Intentional? The verbatim copies of the experiments, are documented therein.

Report this

By moineau, July 25, 2008 at 7:43 am Link to this comment

niloroth, have you seen the documentary?

Report this

By niloroth, July 25, 2008 at 6:44 am Link to this comment

moineau,

You should try talking to actual virologists, and real scientists, because as a whole they will tell you that that theory is beyond wrong. 

All the samples of vaccines produced from monkeys that were found tested negative for SIV, which is to be expected since the type of monkey they used can’t be infected by SIV, and if they can’t have SIV, then they can’t very well be the progenitor for the HIV virus.  Add to that the fact that the biological timeline for the origin of HIV starts way earlier than the vaccines, and there is really nothing for the opv = hiv theory to stand on.

Report this

By moineau, July 25, 2008 at 2:20 am Link to this comment

everyone should see the documentary “the origin of aids” which proves that it was a white scientist making polio vaccine from chipanzees and then working with the belgian government to innoculate every citizen of occupied belgian congo that was the true origin on aids. from what i saw, there is no doubt. ~laura

Report this

By The General, July 24, 2008 at 8:09 pm Link to this comment
(Unregistered commenter)

I interviewed 5 Sioux and 5 Pima, speaking to them about reservation life, and found that 60% of all Amerindians alive in North America believe in…....and 22% want…..and 43% care about…..
What rubbish…they authors of this article know damn well they are just promoting more ignorance and stupidity.

Report this

By BlueEagle, July 24, 2008 at 4:59 pm Link to this comment

For all you truth seekers out there…

African Holocaust
http://www.brasschecktv.com/page/277.html

What is AIDS?
http://www.brasschecktv.com/page/268.html

Report this

By mackTN, July 24, 2008 at 3:28 pm Link to this comment
(Unregistered commenter)

other people, different cultures…how can one solve a problem which involves them? 

http://www.projectimplicit.net

Report this

By ladybaby, July 24, 2008 at 3:11 pm Link to this comment
(Unregistered commenter)

BillMar, you spent a year in Botswana and a year in Swaziland, so you met, not Africans, but Swazis and Botswanans! This is part of the problem. The persistent use of the terms “Africa and Africans” to homogenize a continent of 54 countries and about 980 million people is simply absurd. Africans, like Europeans, are not homogenous. You will notice that the author presented studies repesenting East, West, South and other parts of Africa.
  This same kind of thinking is why Western journalists report war in Liberia as war in Africa, whereas war in Yugoslavia is reported as war in Yugoslavia, and not war in Europe.
  We need to educate ourselves about these tiny little details if we insist that we are all inhabitants of one global village. A village is not so big that one neighborhood does not know some basic things about the other neighborhood!

Report this

By Colin Laney, July 24, 2008 at 3:00 pm Link to this comment
(Unregistered commenter)

There’s not much doubt any more that HIV evolved in Africa in the 20th Century from a chimp and/or monkey virus.  You seem to find this objectionable.  I don’t quite understand why.

Report this

By madmaxmedia, July 24, 2008 at 2:42 pm Link to this comment

I am trying to make sense of some of the article’s factual findings, and some of the earlier comments.

The article reports findings that suggest the rate of unprotected, promiscuous sex in most all African cultures is no higher than many other cultures. At the very least, it is not occuring at levels that would solely account for the reported AIDS rates (i.e. day and night orgies.)

So then what is happening? The author pointed out poverty, malnutrition, stress, overcrowding, etc. While in general I understand how these factors can influence AIDS transmission rates, but if the article suggests that “pan-African hypersexuality” is not the issue, then how do these other factors come into play? Could malnutrition lead to increased infection risk, for example? Also, while I am absolutely all for more education (everywhere), based on the article’s findings would further education actually reduce AIDS transmission, if risky sexual activity is already no higher than in other continents?

I’m not expecting anyone to know the answer today, considering that many of the ideas the article attempts to dispel are still very prevalent.

Report this

By BillMar, July 24, 2008 at 9:08 am Link to this comment

I spent a year in Swaziland and a year in Botswana. HIV/AIDS education is not the issue.  All Africans I met know the source of the disease.  HIV/AIDS in Africa is an attitudinal and behavioral problem. Most African cultures are male-dominated, and males take great satisfaction (no pun intended) in having multiple sex partners. Condoms are often distributed for free, but are rarely used, according to the Africans I spoke with. When I said to a male employee that if he was not in a monogamous relationship with his wife, he had to use a condom every time he had sex, he said, “There are many ways to die in Africa. AIDS is only one of them.” There is a fatalism in African cultures that the West just doesn’t get. I’m not saying we should stop our educational programs, particularly among children and adolescents, but we need to find ways to address attitude and behavior, particularly in the male population.

Report this

By niloroth, July 24, 2008 at 7:24 am Link to this comment

Far more than number of sex partners, and rates of unprotected sex in the transmission of HIV is the resources to spread knowledge about the virus, and the facilities to treat and test for it.  I think that this article gets the first part of that very right, there are other countries where you would expect that the rates should be much higher, but they aren’t.  One thing that tends to be a solid trend is that in poorer countries, and countries that do not have good education infrastructures tend to show higher rates of infection. 

Also not sure what the author means about “To compound an already complex situation, the African green monkey hypothesis also traces the origin of AIDS to Africa.”  I am not sure where else they think aids could have come from.

Report this

By Inherit The Wind, July 24, 2008 at 4:24 am Link to this comment

What brilliant destruction of stereotypes!  The only thing lacking in this article is that the development of simple and effective techniques of reducing transmission have been developed in sub-Saharan Africa, not the West.

The idea that the Bushmen and the Masai are one and the same is absurd.  They are as racially and culturally different from each other as they are from European Caucasians.  Even fundamental concepts of property are radically different, much less courtship and marriage.

We’ve seen a lot of hypotheses tossed out why AIDS and HIV are so prevalent in Africa—even the idea that truck-drivers are the promiscuous spreaders of the infection.  Clearly, the means of spreading and the extent of the pandemic are far from solved.

Behavior comparisons to other countries is highly illuminating and very disturbing because it destroys the idea that sexual activity alone is the factor for the increased infection rates.

Report this
 
Right 1, Site wide - BlogAds Premium
 
Right 2, Site wide - Blogads
 
Join the Liberal Blog Advertising Network
 
 
 
Right Skyscraper, Site Wide
 
Join the Liberal Blog Advertising Network
 

A Progressive Journal of News and Opinion   Publisher, Zuade Kaufman   Editor, Robert Scheer
© 2014 Truthdig, LLC. All rights reserved.

Like Truthdig on Facebook