Verizon Wireless has confirmed plans to charge a $2 “convenience fee” to customers who have the nerve to pay their bill with a credit card either online or over the phone.
The new fee goes into effect Jan. 15 and can be avoided by paying with other, less convenient, methods.
Verizon press release via Engadget:
Customers Encouraged to Use Options to Avoid Single Payment Fee That Starts Jan. 15
Verizon Wireless offers customers numerous free and simple payment options and we encourage customers to use those options. Starting January 15, a new $2 payment convenience fee will be instituted for customers who make single bill payments online or by telephone. There are a couple of exceptions. See below. The fee will help allow us to continue to support these single bill payment options in these channels and is designed to address costs incurred by us for only those customers who choose to make single bill payments in alternate payment channels (online, mobile, telephone). It is waived for those who pay by electronic check or enroll in AutoPay—we encourage customers to use those or other payment options that incur no fees. [See complete list below.] The telephone and online single payment fee, which takes effect January 15, will be disclosed up-front and throughout the transaction.
There are numerous payment options available to our customers where the fee is waived or where no fee applies. They include:
1. Electronic check online (My Verizon Online, My Verizon Mobile/Handset). Fee waived.
2. Electronic check via telephone. Fee waived.
3. Enrollment in AutoPay using credit/debit/ATM card or electronic check; fee does not apply
4. Online from the customer’s home-banking service provider website; fee does not apply.
5. Credit/debit/ATM card, electronic check or cash at a Bill Payment Kiosk, Panel or with a representative at a Verizon Wireless Communications Store; fee does not apply.
6. Use of a Verizon Wireless Gift Card or Verizon Wireless device Rebate Card to pay a bill in-store, online or by telephone; fee does not apply.
7. Paper check or money order mailed to the VZW remit address on customer’s bill; fee does not apply.