U.S. Gets a Call for Help in Iraq Attack
Posted on Sep 5, 2010
American soldiers reportedly were called in to help Iraqi forces repel an attack by insurgents on an army base in Baghdad, just five days after the much-ballyhooed official end of U.S. combat operations in the country.
Seven people died in the attack and more than 20 were wounded as a group of suicide bombers invaded the compound. —JCL
US forces have helped repel an attack on an army base in Baghdad in which seven people died, security officials have told the BBC.
If confirmed, it would mark the first such use of American troops since the official end of US combat operations five days ago.
Under a deal, US forces remaining in Iraq can only participate in operations at the request of Iraqi authorities.
The US military said it could not confirm or deny it had been involved.
AP / Maya Alleruzzo
U.S. Army Lt. Col. Andy Ulrich walks with Iraqi officers after an operation last Wednesday by Iraqi forces, the day after the U.S. combat role officially ended.