Quebec Government Walks Out on Student Talks
Posted on Jun 1, 2012
Negotiations between students and the Quebec government collapsed this week as the two sides failed to reach an agreement on proposed tuition increases and the protests they have spawned. Students unanimously rejected an offer of a modest reduction in planned tuition hikes. —ARK
[Quebec Premier Jean] Charest said after four days of talks they had reached an impasse and a huge gap remained. It would be “up to the silent majority to express itself” at elections due in 18 months.
Student leaders said Quebec’s education minister stepped away from the table, saying it was not politically possible to reach an agreement. One student leader called for further street protests and said he planned a large rally in Montreal for Saturday.
… Charest said he hoped the break would bring calm but student leader Gabriel Nadeau-Dubois called for “a return to the streets”.
shahk (CC BY-ND 2.0)
Students march in Montreal late last year in a protest against tuition hikes.