Pentagon, WikiLeaks Clash Again
Posted on Aug 12, 2010
It doesn’t look like WikiLeaks is going to heed the Pentagon’s request to “do the right thing” and refrain from releasing 15,000 documents about the war in Afghanistan that the site has yet to share with the world. Naturally, the powers at the Pentagon are not pleased. —KA
The Wall Street Journal:
WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, speaking to a group in London by video link on Thursday, said his group had gone through 7,000 of the 15,000 documents the group has so far withheld from publishing. WikiLeaks had said it was withholding posting those documents until it had time to review them to block out the names of sources contained in the documents.
“Absolutely,” he replied when asked whether he still plans to publish the remaining documents.
The organization has already released some 76,000 classified documents covering the war in Afghanistan from 2004 to 2010, leaked by a source the website has refused to identify.
The U.S. says it is investigating army intelligence analyst Bradley Manning as a possible source of the leak.
The documents touch on unreported incidents of Afghan civilian killings by North Atlantic Treaty Organization forces and covert operations against Taliban figures, among other things.
Flickr.com / mindfrieze