Israel Admits Mistakes in Flotilla Raid
Posted on Jul 12, 2010
Some six weeks after Israeli troops raided a Gaza-bound flotilla and killed nine people aboard, thus rocking the diplomatic boat with Turkey and other nations, Israel has owned up to some “professional mistakes” that occurred during the clash. However, it should be noted that this admission was made in the context of an investigation by the Israeli military into the incident on May 31. —KA
The report criticised the operation’s planners for not having a back-up plan in the event of violence.
But it also said the mission had not been a failure and did not recommend any dismissals.
‘Professional and courageous’
It said there had been a lack of co-ordination between military and intelligence bodies, and preparations for the 31 May takeover of the ships had been inadequate.