Grand Jury Indicts Abdulmutallab
Posted on Jan 6, 2010
Well, that was fast: A U.S. grand jury indicted Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, he of the explosive unmentionables on Northwest Flight 253, on six counts Wednesday. Charges against the 23-year-old Nigerian included attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction and attempted murder. Abdulmutallab will have the chance to enter a plea at his arraignment, which could happen as early as Friday, according to the BBC. —KA
The counts are:
• attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction
• attempted murder within the special aircraft jurisdiction of the US
• willful attempt to destroy and wreck an aircraft
• willfully placing a destructive device in or near an aircraft which was likely to endanger the safety of the aircraft
• two counts of possession of a firearm, ie the bomb, in furtherance of violent crime.
A graphic on a website used by militants shows the now-indicted Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab superimposed over an airliner, plus text criticizing the U.S.