Egypt’s Civilian Government Offers to Step Down
Posted on Nov 21, 2011
Egyptians staged another mass protest Monday as the interim civilian government faced another major transition. The day before, the whole cabinet submitted its resignation, but the ruling military council had yet to accept it by nightfall. Meanwhile, more than 30 people were reported killed and 425 injured in the ongoing conflict.
The Guardian is keeping tabs on the situation on its “Middle East Live” blog—go here to follow the updates.
Reuters via The Jerusalem Post:
A military official told Reuters that the ruling council is seeking agreement on a new prime minister before it accepts the resignation submitted by the cabinet of Prime Minister Essam Sharaf.
The resignation comes as the death toll from protests in the Egyptian capital topped 30, as clashes between protesters and security forces continued for three days. Medical sources put the number of dead at 33 while the Egyptian health Ministry said 22 people had been killed.
Protesters demanding Egypt’s ruling generals hand over power beat back a new police raid to evict them from Cairo’s central Tahrir Square on Monday, witnesses said.
AP / Khalil Hamra
Familiar scene: Protesters gather in Cairo’s Tahrir Square on Monday.