In Iran, it is estimated that hundreds more people than Iranian officials have admitted have died in the heavy military crackdowns on election protesters.
Hundreds more people may have died in Iran’s post-election unrest than the authorities have admitted, amid allegations that the death toll has been obscured by hiding victims’ bodies in secret morgues.
Human rights campaigners say anecdotal evidence suggests the number of demonstrators killed in clashes with government forces after last month’s poll was far higher than the official death toll of 20 and may amount to a “massacre”.
Suspicions have been fuelled after one woman described seeing corpses piled on top of each other in a refrigeration depot while searching for a missing relative. Another woman was shown pictures of between 50 and 60 people, all said to have died, while searching for her son.
Meanwhile, President Ahmadinejad has promised to do more cracking down, this time on the West, stating “this nation will strike you in the face so hard you will lose your way home,”
Newly re-elected President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said on Thursday his next government “would bring down the global arrogance,” signaling a tougher approach by Tehran toward the West after last month’s disputed election.
Ahmadinejad, in his first provincial trip after the June 12 presidential vote, said Iran’s enemies had tried to interfere and foment aggression in the country, referring to mass opposition protests against the official election result.
The hardline president, who often rails against the West, said the Islamic Republic wanted “logic and negotiations” but that Western powers had insulted the Iranian nation and should apologize.