Business Ethics? What a Concept
Posted on May 30, 2009
In what can only be the beginning of social revolution, 20 percent of Harvard’s MBAs have signed an ethics pledge, vowing not to advance their “own narrow ambitions” at the expense of others. But the question remains, where exactly is the other 80 percent of the class?
The New York Times:
When a new crop of future business leaders graduates from the Harvard Business School next week, many of them will be taking a new oath that says, in effect, greed is not good.
Nearly 20 percent of the graduating class have signed “The M.B.A. Oath,” a voluntary student-led pledge that the goal of a business manager is to “serve the greater good.” It promises that Harvard M.B.A.’s will act responsibly, ethically and refrain from advancing their “own narrow ambitions” at the expense of others.
Flickr / Patricia Drury
By signing the pledge, Harvard students give some credence to the school motto Veritas—truth.