Prince Harry Is Denied an Iraq Excursion
Posted on May 16, 2007
Prince Harry eagerly wanted to deploy to Iraq with his fellow soldiers, but the head of the British army has said the risks to the prince and those serving around him would be “unacceptable.”
BBC defence correspondent Paul Wood said there had been a number of “specific threats”, but what the Army was most concerned about was the possibility that Iran would use its security services for an attack on the prince.
Reg Keys - whose son Thomas was killed while on active service in Basra in 2003 - said he found the decision distasteful and questioned whether insurgents could have told the prince apart from other service personnel.
“It would appear that Harry’s life is more valuable than my son or the other nearly 150 service personnel who’ve given their lives,” Mr Keys added.