Cheney and Condi Defend Their Debacles
Posted on Sep 10, 2006
Dick Cheney and Condoleezza Rice each went on TV Sunday to perform CPR on the administration?s legacy. Though both admitted to more dogged resistance in Iraq and Afghanistan than expected, the pair defended the administration?s decision-making and claimed we are safer now thanks to Bush?s policies.
New York Times:
Mr. Cheney said that while Americans understandably were concerned about setbacks in the fight against terror, they needed to keep in mind a bottom-line fact: ?I don?t know how you can explain five years of no attacks, five years of successful disruption of attacks, five years of defeating efforts of Al Qaeda to come back and kill more Americans ? you?ve got to give some credence to the notion that maybe somebody did something right.?
The anniversary of the attacks by 19 Al Qaeda hijackers has brought a sharp, public, often rancorous re-examination of security policies under President Bush and even before him ? an ABC-TV program suggesting that Clinton administration officials missed a chance to kill Osama bin Laden was re-edited after those officials protested forcefully that they were misrepresented.
The Bush administration, meantime, has cast an extraordinary focus on security questions in the past week. ?America is safer,? Mr. Bush said last week, ?and America?s winning the war on terror.?
Illustration: Peter Scheer/Photos: Wikipedia.org/artlex.com