Israeli Attack Threatens Cease-Fire
Posted on Aug 19, 2006
Despite the tenuous cease-fire, Israel has launched an attack some 60 miles north of its border in Lebanon. Israeli officials said they were trying to halt a weapons transfer to Hezbollah, and will continue to engage targets until a peacekeeping force can take its place to prevent Hezbollah’s rearming.
The U.N., for its part, said it was disappointed with France and other European nations’ contributions, so far, to the peacekeeping effort.
Israel’s fresh operation inside Lebanon came five days after the UN-brokered ceasefire came into effect.
The Israeli army said the raid was to prevent arms being delivered to Hezbollah by Iran and Syria.
Reports on Hezbollah’s TV station say Israeli commandos were flown into the area, some 100km (60 miles) north of the Israeli border, but were repulsed by Hezbollah fighters. Israeli missile strikes in the area were also reported.