Dec 10, 2013
Wrongful Foreclosure Settlement Not Enough, New York Times Says
Posted on Jan 9, 2013
The editors at The New York Times are not impressed with the deal struck between the government and major banks to provide borrowers with $8.5 billion in aid.
After “widespread evidence of illegal foreclosure practices” after the 2008 crisis hit the news, federal regulators in 2011 told the big banks to investigate themselves. They were allowed to hire their own consultants to review foreclosures that affected up to 3.8 million people in 2009 and 2010, and were trusted to reimburse affected borrowers “as appropriate.” Everyone swore the reviews would do the job, and the banks were left to determine who had been wronged and how.
As any skeptic familiar with the financial industry’s history of using any means available to protect itself would suspect, the banks’ consultants found little wrongdoing. And now regulators “will let the banks off with a wrist slap for their failure to execute credible and effective reviews.”
This week, the Federal Reserve and Office of the Comptroller of the Currency announced banks would be forced to make $8.5 billion available to borrowers. From that amount, $3.3 billion will go to people who lost their homes and $5.2 billion will go to modify loans for borrowers who are currently at risk of foreclosure.
Regulators said they ended the reviews to provide homeowners with relief “in a more timely manner.” The New York Times calls nonsense, writing, “If it’s timely relief they wanted, they would not have instituted the deeply flawed review process in the first place, nor would they have let the sham reviews drag on for more than a year.” What’s more, the size of the settlement is “inadequate.”
—Posted by Alexander Reed Kelly.
Previous item: Where the Plastic Water Bottle Has Been Banned
New and Improved Comments