Chinese anti-nuclear activists hold a candlelight vigil in March.
Japan says it will not abandon nuclear power in the wake of the quake and tsunami that resulted in the evacuation of more than 200,000 people, thousands of human deaths, an ongoing containment crisis and intensive efforts to fortify vulnerable reactors.
Japan’s 54 nuclear reactors account for one-third of its energy supply. Power outages are expected to continue this summer as containment and fortification efforts require the shuttering of multiple reactors. Correction: Earlier this report erroneously said more than 200,000 deaths had occurred. We thank the readers who pointed out the mistake. —ARK
There is “no need to worry” about other reactors, [Deputy Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshito] Sengoku said. “Scientifically, that’s our conclusion at the moment.”
The government evaluated Japan’s 54 reactors for quake and tsunami vulnerability after the March 11 disasters that heavily damaged the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant in northeast Japan.
Nuclear energy provides more than one-third of Japan’s electricity, and shutting the three reactors would likely worsen power shortages expected this summer. Already, buildings have reduced lighting, stores have trimmed service hours and subway operators have shut air conditioning in a conservation effort in the capital region since the March 11 disasters