Afghan President Hamid Karzai, shown in 2006 file photo, had some strong words for the West after attacks that his office said occurred Saturday in the eastern province of Kunar.
Afghan President Hamid Karzai’s office released a statement in which he said he “strongly condemns” a military operation involving “international forces”—one in a series that reportedly occurred over the weekend—in which at least eight Afghan schoolchildren were said to be among the civilian casualties.
At least 10 Afghan civilians, including eight schoolchildren, have been killed in fighting involving Western troops, President Hamid Karzai has said.
[...] The AFP news agency quoted a senior Afghan official as saying the death toll could change as investigations take place.
An unnamed Western official told AFP that US special forces had been conducting operations in the area, close to the border with Pakistan, and had killed and captured “a lot of Taliban”.
He said the operations were being carried out independently of the Nato-led and coalition forces in Afghanistan.