Afghan President Hamid Karzai has branded the Taliban’s 18-hour siege of Kabul and places across eastern Afghanistan on Sunday an intelligence failure and called for an investigation into NATO security operations.
Thirty-six insurgents were killed with four civilians dead and several dozen injured. Karzai praised Afghan troops who responded for their speed and bravery. —ARK
The criticism underlined divisions between Karzai and his backers. The US defence department spokesman George Little said the Pentagon did not believe there had been an intelligence failure.
“If we’re held to the standard to have to know precisely when and where each insurgent attack is going to occur, I think that’s an unfair standard,” he told Reuters. “This is a war zone.”
The attacks also raised questions about efforts to boost Afghanistan’s forces as foreign troops leave. Afghan forces drew widespread praise for their handling of the attacks, but they are still heavily reliant on the west for military intelligence.