A protester appears to be shouting behind a Syrian flag during a demonstration against President Bashar al-Assad outside the Syrian embassy in Jordan in late March.
After the release of a gut-wrenching video purporting to show the bodies of Syrian children and their families slain in the attack on Houla on Friday, governments around the world signaled their shared disapproval of the Assad regime by expelling Syrian diplomats and ambassadors Tuesday.
Russia, hesitant to criticize Syria because of its close diplomatic relationship, is expected to come under greater heat for its continued support of the Assad regime.
Many Syrians remain dumbfounded as to why organizations such as the United Nations and the Arab League have not taken military action against the Syrian government. British Foreign Secretary William Hague said the situation in Syria is more complicated than what international powers faced last year when the U.N. approved intervention against the Gadhafi regime in Libya.
Complex or not, Syrian men, women and children are dying. And as can be heard in this gruesome video (warning: the content of this video is extremely graphic, and viewer discretion is advised) supposedly showing the bodies of those killed in the Houla massacre below, they’re wondering when the rest of the world is going to do something about it. —ARK
The Associated Press via The Huffington Post:
The United States, Britain, Canada, Australia, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Bulgaria and the Netherlands took action Tuesday against Syrian diplomats. Britain’s foreign secretary said the countries involved in Tuesday’s expulsions would also push for tougher sanctions against Syria.
… “This is the most effective way we’ve got of sending a message of revulsion of what has happened in Syria,” Australian Foreign Minister Bob Carr said in Canberra. In a statement, he called the Houla killings a “hideous and brutal crime” and said Australia would not engage with the Syrian government unless it abides by a U.N. cease-fire plan.
Diplomats at the U.N., the European Union and the Arab League have been working since the Houla massacre to coordinate new action against Syria’s government, French Foreign Ministry spokesman Bernard Valero said.