Top Leaderboard, Site wide
Truthdig: Drilling Beneath the Headlines
March 28, 2017 Disclaimer: Please read.

Statements and opinions expressed in articles are those of the authors, not Truthdig. Truthdig takes no responsibility for such statements or opinions.

What Is Sex For?
I Am Brian Wilson

Truthdig Bazaar
Beyond Outrage

Beyond Outrage

By Robert Reich

Only the Strong

Only the Strong

Jabari Asim

more items

Ear to the Ground
Email this item Print this item

Oh, Look ... You’ve Gone and Broken Your New Doll

Posted on Feb 17, 2009
Smash-Me Bernie

Behold: the “Smash-Me Bernie” doll.

Ah, capitalism. First, we had Ponzi schemer Bernard Madoff making big money off his clients, and now here comes one ModelWorks, a toy manufacturer with an enterprising plan for how to profit off the failed financier in turn.

New York Daily News:

The $99, red-suited, pitchfork-wielding figure comes with a golden hammer.

You see, you’re not just buying Bernie, but also the fun of smashing him to smithereens.

The maker hopes its “Smash-Me Bernie” doll - available online at - could become a “Tickle Me Elmo” for grownups who haven’t lost all their money in a Ponzi scheme.

“A lot of people have been asking about it,” Graeme Warring of ModelWorks said Sunday at the Jacob Javits Convention Center.

ModelWorks can even create a custom figure based on your own photograph through its My Mini-Me line.

Read more

Lockerdome Below Article

Get truth delivered to
your inbox every day.

New and Improved Comments

If you have trouble leaving a comment, review this help page. Still having problems? Let us know. If you find yourself moderated, take a moment to review our comment policy.

Join the conversation

Load Comments
Purple Girl's avatar

By Purple Girl, February 18, 2009 at 9:18 am Link to this comment

We Don’t want No Stinkin Dolls!!
Why focus on Bernie when the Entire Financial Industry is run by MADE OFFS.
‘Ponzi Scheme’ Wasn’t that what The Repugs ‘Modernization Act’ essential was?
I want Greenspan,Summers, Gramm, McCain,Paulson, Berneke…Smashed! I want them presecuted and executed for Economic Treason. What the hell do you think ‘Trickle Down’ was!?! A way to fill the pockets of the upper echelon and only allow what little fell out ot trickle down to the masses. That was the economic Stratedgy Our Founders fought a Revolution to Free US from. There was NO ‘Flaw’ in Greenspan Logic, He is one of the most agregious Traitors of this Country.They took our Free Market and handed it over to Brick and Mortar/Logos, aka Family Crests.
Bernie was nothing more than a mid level Noble who’s greed and arrogance got the better of him. He is not the mastermind of this re institution of Feudalism. Class Warfare? When 5% owns and controls what the other 95% produces and creates.When that 5% also controls the costs of essential resources and the access to credit to afford those essentials- What do you think that is? A Two level Caste System!95% of american are the indentured slaves the 5% have led to the global auction block as a cheap plentiful commodity for the fellow Nobles to use and abuse as they see fit.
If you think Corker, or CEO’s like Lockheeds are going to stop after destroying the Unions, Your are a fool. Once past these protective sentry of Human labor, they are coming after every other American Worker.They are out to cut our incomes, our bennies and our safe working conditions.Repugs sound exactly like those vile Human traffickers we defeated in the Civil War!The Union Won then and The Union Will win Again- It’s the American Way, Just ask the English Monarchy!Nobles/Serfs, Masters/Slaves,Corps/Workers - socio-economic doctrines which can not survive in the United States! We are Not a 3rd World country, Nor a colony, Nor a Plantation!We Declared our Independence from all Tryanny long ago.We see no differnce between a Family Crest and a Logo, when attempting to usurp “We the People”

Report this
Leefeller's avatar

By Leefeller, February 17, 2009 at 5:22 pm Link to this comment

Now that I am unemployed, I want one of these dolls for my shopping cart.

Report this

By dr wu, February 17, 2009 at 3:56 pm Link to this comment

Hey, lay off Madoff. He’s no more crooked than Rubin or Paulson. These folks sell big returns , and when the market died the whole thing tanked. Wall Street/the Big Banks lost trillions, Madoff, so he says, lost 50 Billion.

Before Madoff said he was running a Ponzi scheme, did any of his clients claim to be ripped off? No. He gave good returns for 30 years—is this a ponzi scheme or business as usual.

Sure, lock him up, lock up Rubin, Paulson,Greenspan, Ayn Rand, Summers, ....

Don’t let the rich run/ruin the world!

Report this
Right Top, Site wide - Care2
Right 3, Site wide - Exposure Dynamics
Right Skyscraper, Site Wide
Right Internal Skyscraper, Site wide

Like Truthdig on Facebook