Duke University President Richard Brodhead said about his decision: “I am, I know, taking a risk in reinstating men’s lacrosse ... [but] if we did not allow these players the chance to take responsibility for creating a new history for their sport at Duke, we would be denying another very fundamental value: the belief in the possibility of learning from experience, the belief in education itself.”
DURHAM, N.C. - Duke University’s troubled lacrosse team will play next season, but under strict rules and close monitoring after three players were charged with rape, school President Richard Brodhead said Monday.
“I am, I know, taking a risk in reinstating men’s lacrosse,” Brodhead said in a statement. “The reinstatement is inevitably probationary.”
Brodhead canceled the team’s season April 5 after an exotic dancer who had been hired to perform at a March 13 team party told police she was raped by three team members at an off-campus house.
A university investigation also found a history of disciplinary problems involving team members, including underage drinking and public urination.