May 18, 2013
Top General Contradicts Bush’s Iran Bombs Claim
Posted on Mar 15, 2006
Remember how Bush claimed on Monday that Iran was providing many of the roadside bombs killing U.S. troops in Iraq? Well, the U.S.’ top military commander just told the Pentagon that there is no proof for such a claim.
Truthdig’s Juan Cole was all over this apparently bogus claim yesterday.
The top U.S. military officer said on Tuesday the United States does not have proof that Iran’s government is responsible for Iranians smuggling weapons and military personnel into Iraq.
President George W. Bush said on Monday components from Iran were being used in powerful roadside bombs used in Iraq, and Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said last week that Iranian Revolutionary Guard personnel had been inside Iraq.
Asked whether the United States has proof that Iran’s government was behind these developments, Marine Corps Gen. Peter Pace, chairman of the military’s Joint Chiefs of Staff, told a Pentagon briefing, “I do not, sir.”
Previous item: Bush Is Called ‘Despicable’ for Smearing L.A. Times
Next item: New Panel Assembled to Study Iraq War Policy
New and Improved Comments